29 December 2010

Park Street Station:

I have sworn no fewer than 5 times at my 80 lbs of luggage that I've had to drag from transfer to transfer, from line to line (and which, I was just realizing, due to the hour, I would have to drag home instead of taking the bus which doesn't run past midnight). While waiting for the Alewife train to arrive and take me to Harvard Station, a couple on the other side of the tracks arrives. The guy carries a pizza box from which the girl takes a slice which she alternately consumes and feeds to the guy. Eventually they are approached by a (probably homeless) man. He does a double take at the pizza, stops, and says:

"Hey, can I have a slice of that?"

"Sure thing, brother," the guy replies. "Help yourself."

The homeless man watches as the pizza box lid is lifted, revealing a nearly whole pie. He reaches for a slice, but pauses momentarily.

"... Is it good?"

"Yes," they reassure him, "it's delicious."

Sufficiently satisfied with that answer, the man then takes a slice, thanks the couple multiple times, and walks off. It was a funny, quiet reminder to me that having a little more than I can conveniently carry is still infinitely better than being able to carry much more than I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment