20 September 2010

Red line, Park Street Station:

When the doors open, the car I'm boarding is totally empty. I sit in the far corner on a bank of three seats with their backs to the window which face another bank of three seats across the aisle. The first occupant of the seats across from me is a single girl who sits down opposite me in the corner. Momentarily, a couple each carrying a backpack and a suitcase occupy the other two seats. They shuffle around, trying to arrange their luggage without losing anything, and end up inadvertently jostling their neighbor several times. With a huff, the first girl gets up and stomps off to the other side of the train. The girl with the suitcase looks at her, shocked, then looks at me. We break into smiles and chuckle silently across the aisle at the impatience of the recently departed. The next stop is mine. With a nod to my new friend I leave the train.

No comments:

Post a Comment